Aree di competenza:
|Institute of Clinical Physiology
National Research Council (CNR)
Via Moruzzi 1, 56124 Pisa, Italy
tel: +39-050-3152679/3152675, fax: +39-050-3152166
Director of Cardiometabolic Unit and of Mass Spectrometry Laboratory, Institute of Clinical Physiology, National Research Council, Pisa, Italy
Adjunct Associate Professor, Division of Diabetes, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, Texas, USA
Adjunct Professor, Biomedical Engineering Master Degree, University of Pisa, Italy
born in Belluno, Italy, on 9/25/1965.
I have received the laurea in Electronic Engineering in 1990 from University of Padova, Italy with a major in mathematical modeling of metabolic substrates. After that I enrolled in the Bioengineering Ph.D program of Politecnico of Milano, Italy receiving the degree in 1994. From 1991 to 1995 I was a research fellow at the University of Texas Medical Branch of Galveston, USA, where I enrolled in the Ph.D. in Human Metabolism from the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences of University of Texas, USA receiving the Ph.D. degree in 1995.
In 1995 I was appointed at the Institute of Clinical Physiology of the National Research Council (IFC-CNR) in Pisa, first as Post doc and then as Director of the Laboratory of the Unit of Metabolism. Recently I was also appointed as director of the Cardiometabolic Unit of the iFC-CNR. Since 2002 I am adjunct associate professor at the Division of Diabetes of University of Texas Health Science Center, in San Antonio, USA and since 2006 Adjunct professor at the University of Pisa where I teach a course in "Compartmental modeling and pharmacokinetics" for the degree in Biomedical Engineering.
I am involved in many research projects on the study of glucose metabolism (gluconeogenesis, glucose production and disposal), lipid metabolism (lipolysis, FFA turnover and oxidation), hepatic and peripheral insulin resistance; insulin secretion; influence of ectopic fat distribution (visceral, hepatic, cardiac) on insulin resistance in subjects at high risk of developing cardiovascular diseases (e.g., type 2 diabetic patients and obese subjects).
I am collaborating with many institutions in Europe and United States and I have published more than 100 manuscripts as articles in international journals or book chapters.
July 1990 Laurea in Electrical Engineering (BS+MS), University of Padova, Padova, Italy. Major: Bio-engineering. Thesis: "Minimal input-output configuration for leucine metabolism", tutor: prof. Claudio Cobelli, Ph.D.
September 1994 Ph.D. in Bio-Engineering Politecnico di Milano, Milano, Italy, Thesis: "Physiological identification of non-accessible pools in a compartmental model of glucose kinetics", tutor: prof. Claudio Cobelli, Ph.D.
August 1995 Ph.D. in Human Metabolism University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX, U.S.A. Thesis: "Applications of Stable Isotope Tracers and Mathematical Modeling in Metabolic Research", tutor: prof. Robert R. Wolfe, Ph.D.
October 1989-February 1994 Research Fellow, Bio-Engineering Unit of the University of Padova, Padova, Italy, director prof. Claudio Cobelli. Reaserch projects: Compartmental analysis of leucine kinetics; minimal input-output configuration and investigation the optimal sampling schedule. Evaluation of commonly used models for studying substrate kinetics in non- steady state conditions.
January 1991-March 1995 Research Fellow, Metabolism Unit of the Shriners Burns Institute and Dept. of Anesthesiology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77550, director prof. Robert R. Wolfe. Research projects: analysis of glucose, lipid and protein metabolism using stable isotopes and mathematical models. Isotope Ratio Mass Spectrometry (IRMS) and Gas Chromatography Mass Spectrometry (GCMS) analysis. Study of energy expenditure using the doubly labeled water technique.
March 1995- August 1996 Post-Doctoral Fellow, Department of Internal Medicine of the University of Pisa and Metabolism Unit of the Institute of Clinical Physiology-National Research Council, Pisa, Italy directed by Prof. E. Ferrannini. Research projects: analysis of substrate kinetics using stable isotopes and mathematical models.
Sept 1996-May 2008 Director of Stable Isotope Laboratory (from Sept 2001 the position is equivalent to Assistant Professor) of the Metabolism Unit of the Institute of Clinical Physiology-National Research Council, Pisa, Italy. Research projects: analysis of substrate kinetics using stable isotopes and mathematical models; estimation of insulin secretion from mathematical deconvolution of C-Peptide data; estimation in vivo, using 2H2O, of the contribution of gluconeogenesis to endogenous glucose production.
December 1996 Visiting Scientist laboratory directed by prof. B. Landau, Department of Medicine, Case Western University, Cleveland Ohio, Research project: estimation of gluconeogenesis in vivo using 2H2O.
Jul 1999, Jun 2001, Feb 2002 Visiting Scientist of the Division of Diabetes, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio and Texas Diabetes Institute, San Antonio Texas directed by Prof. R. DeFronzo. Research project: measurements of insulin secretion and insulin resistance in Mexican Americans.
Aug 2002- March 2006 Adjunct Assistant Professor, Division of Diabetes, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, Texas, USA. . Research project: measurements of glucose kinetics and insulin secretion in Mexican Americans.
Jan 2003- Present Director of the Core Laboratory for analysis of stable isotope and measurement of glucose production for the EGIR-RISC STUDY (Hills SA et al "The EGIR-RISC STUDY (The European group for the study of insulin resistance: relationship between insulin sensitivity and cardiovascular disease risk): I. Methodology and objectives." Diabetologia. 2004, 47(3):566-70)
May 2008-August 2009 Director of Mass Spectrometry Laboratory of the Fondazione G. Monasterio, Pisa, Italy.
June 2006 Present Clinical Adjunct Associate Professor, Division of Diabetes, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, Texas, USA. Research project: influence of body fat distribution (visceral, hepatic, muscular) on insulin resistance and glucose kinetics in subjects with type 2 diabetes.
October 2006 Present Adjunct Professor of "Compartmental modelling and pharmacokinetics" at the Master Degree of Biomedical Engineering of the University of Pisa, Italy.
September 2009-Present Director of the Cardiometabolic Unit and of the Mass Spectrometry Laboratory of the Institute of Clinical Physiology-National Research Council, Pisa, Italy. Research projects: assessment of cardiometabolic risk in subjects with different degrees of insulin resistance, e.g. patients with diabetes, NASH, morbid obesity. Assessment of glucose and lipid kinetics (fasting and postprandial) and estimation of insulin secretion using tracer methodology and mathematical modelling.
In my laboratory I have trained both undergraduate and graduate students in Biology, Medicine and Biomedical Engineering.
I have been tutor for several Master and PhD theses in Biology, Medicine and Biomedical Engineering.
I regurarly teaches in schools and courses CME (Continuing Medical Education).
Since October 2006 I teach the course of "Compartimental Modelling and Pharmacokinetics" at the Master degree of Biomedical Engineering, University of Pisa, Italy.
1991 Research Fellowship of the "Aldo Gini Foundation" for a reseach project on application of stable isotopes to study human metabolism.
April 1995-July 1996 Research Fellowship of the FO.R.MED. foundation for a research project on application of stable isotopes to study human metabolism at the Institute of Clinical Physiology, CNR Pisa.
1998 Research Fellowship of the "Glaxo Wellcome/EASD Burden of Diabetes" for a research project to quantify gluconeogenesis in vivo in humans.
May 2000-September 2001 Research Fellowship of the National Research Council.
Recent invited lectures:
- ISPAD - August 31-September 3, 2005 Invited speaker annual meeting of IDF-International Society for Pediatric & Adolescent Diabetes (ISPAD), Krakow (Poland). Title of the lecture: "Effect of postprandial hyperglycemia and hyperlipemia on beta-cells - do we have to worry?"
- ECAMCN - October 28–29, 2005 Chairman of the session "Metabolic syndrome" at the annual meeting of European Chapter of the American College of Nutrition (ECAMCN)
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center - January 2006 Grand Round Lecture: "Influence of abdominal obesity on hepatic and beta-cell function" at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, USA
- Annual Lectures on Metabolism - April, 2006 Invited speaker. Title of the lecture: "Influence of abdominal obesity on hepatic and beta-cell function", Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, School of Medicine, Dpt. of Internal Medicine, Rome, Italy
- ECM course "Pianeta donna: approccio integrato alla patologia femminile nella post menopausa" - October 21, 2006. Invited speaker. Title of the lecture: "Women and Metabolic syndrome" , Pisa, Italy
- ECAMCN- October 26-28, 2006 Invited speaker annual meeting of European Chapter of the American College of Nutrition (ECAMCN). Title of the lecture: "Intra-Abdominal Fat Images and Body Composition".
- Course of endocrinology – March 5-7, 2007 Invited speaker. Title of the lecture: "Fat topography and ectopic fat", Pisa, Italy (ECM course)
- 67th Annual Meeting American Diabetes Association (ADA)- June 2007 Invited speaker. Title of the lecture: "Glucose Dysregulation in Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease", Chicago, USA
- LXI Giornate Mediche Triestine (ECM course) - September 28-29, 2007 Invited speaker at the annual meeting. Title of the lecture: "Role of visceral fat". Medical Association of Trieste, Italy
- EASL Clinical School of Hepatology – December 14-16 2007 Invited speaker of the Clinical School of Hepatology, Course 9: Metabolic Liver Diseases, sponsored by the European Association for the Study of the Liver (EASL). Title of the lecture: "The metabolic syndrome and the liver". Torino, Italy
- Annual Lectures on Obesity and Diabetes, March 20, 2008 Invited speaker. Title of the lecture: "Abdominal obesity and insulin resistance". University of Milano, Italy
- Annual Lectures on Metabolism - April 11, 2008 Invited speaker. Title of the lecture: "Glucose dysregulation in non- alcoholic fatty liver disease". Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, School of Medicine, Dpt. of Internal Medicine, Rome, Italy
- 22nd Annual Meeting of the Italian Society for the study of Diabetes (SID) – May 26-29 2008 Invited speaker. Title of the lecture: "Pathophysiology of NAFLD". Torino, Italy
- 5th A.I.S.F. CONFERENCE: Metabolic Syndrome - June 12-13, 2008 Invited speaker at the annual signle topic conference of the Italian Association for the Study of the Liver (AISF). Title of the lecture: "Role of the liver in the development of insulin resi stance and type 2 diabetes mellitus" Napoli, Italy
- 68th Annual Meeting of the American Diabetes Association (ADA)- June 2008 Chairman of a session at the annual meeting of the "American Diabetes Association" San Francisco, USA
- 44th Annual Meeting of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD)- September 2008 Chairman of the sessions "Ectopic fat: liver and pancreas" and "GLP-1 base therapies" Rome, Italy.
- Annual Lectures (ECM course) - November 8, 2008 Invited speaker at the meeting "Alcohol and Diabetes". Title of the lecture: "Diabetes and hepatic steatosis". Ortona (PE), Italy
- University of Texas Medical Branch - January 2009 Grand Round Lecture: "Glucose Dysregulation in Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease", Aging Center, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, USA
- Annual Lectures on Metabolism - March 12, 2009 Invited speaker. Title of the lecture: "Abdominal fat: does it predict the development of type 2 diabetes?". Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, School of Medicine, Dpt. of Internal Medicine, Rome, Itay
- Annual seminars of the Northern Greece Diabetes Association - May 8-9, 2009 Invited speaker at the meeting "Everything about insulin". Title of the lecture: "Pathogenesis of Diabetes Mellitus type 2", Thessaloniki, Greece
- 69th Annual Meeting of the American Diabetes Association (ADA)- June 6-9, 2009 Chairman of the session "Liver – in vivo studies" at the annual meeting of the "American Diabetes Association" New Orleans, USA
- 8th International Meeting on therapy in liver disease – September 23-25 2009 Invited speaker. Title of the lecture: "NAFLD: a systemic disease". Barcelona, Spain.
- EASL Special Conference - NAFLD/NASH – September 24-26 2009 Invited speaker. Title of the lecture: "How to Measure Insulin Resistance in Clinical Practice, Epidemiological Studies and Clinical Trials" Bologna, Italy
- 45th Annual Meeting of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD)- September 29 – October 2, 2009 Chairman of the session "Insulin secretion in vivo", Vienna, Austria
- 23rd Annual Meeting Italian Society for the study of Diabetes (SID) – June 9-12, 2010 Invited speaker. Title of the lecture: "Regulation of hepatic glucose production: role of glucagon", Padova Italy
- Annual Lectures on Metabolism – April 9, 2010 Invited speaker. Title of the lecture: "Cardiovascular risk: a lesson from the RISC study". Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, School of Medicine, Dpt. of Internal Medicine, Rome, Italy
- 23rd Annual Meeting of the Italian Society for the study of Diabetes (SID) – June 9-12 2010 Invited speaker. Title of the lecture: "Regulation of hepatic glucose production: role of lgucagon". Padova, Italy
01/2008-Present EASL, European Association for the Study of the Liver
01/2007-Present SID, Italian Society for the study of Diabetes
03/2003-Present European Chapter of American College of Nutrition
01/2000-Present EGIR, European Group of the Study of Insulin Resistance
01/1998-Present EASD, European Association for the Study of Diabete
Reviewer: American J Physiology; American Journal of Clinical Nutrition; Clinical Nutrition; Clinical Pharmacolgy and Therapeutics; Diabetes; Diabetologia; Diabetes Care; Diabetes Medicine; European Journal of Clinical Nutrition; Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism; Gastroenterology; Hepatology; Intenational Journal of Obesity; Journal of Hepatology; Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascula Disease; Obesity Research; Plosone;.
Reviewer of the abstracts of the American Diabetes Association annual meeting.
Prof Ele Ferrannini, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Pisa, Italy
prof. Ralph DeFronzo, prof. Franco. Folli and prof. Ken Cusi University of Texas, Division of Diabetes; prof. Jean Hardies University of Texas, Imaging Center, San Antonio, Texas, USA.
Dott. Elisabetta Bugianesi, Department of Gastroenterology, University of Torino, Italy
Dott. Ingrid Jazet, Prof. Johannes Romjin Department of General Internal Medicine/Endocrinology Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Prof. Jacqueline Dekker EMGO, Institute, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Prof. John Nolan Metabolic Research Unit, Department of Endocrinology, St James' Hospital, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland
prof. Patricia Iozzo e prof. Pijrio Nuutila. PET center, University of Turku, Finland.
Dr Ingrid Hickman Diamantina Institute for Cancer Immunology and Metabolic Medicine, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Brisbane, Qld Australia
prof. Satish Kalhan, Case Western University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA.
I have published more than 100 articles in peer reviewed International Journals (total Impact Factor: 638, according to IF 2008, h-index: 30), 20 proceedings/book chapters and more than 120 abstracts.
List of publications of the last 4 years: 2007-2010:
- Balas B, Belfort R, Harrison SA, Darland C, Finch J, Schenker S, Gastaldelli A, Cusi K: "Pioglitazone treatment increases whole body fat but not total body water in patients with non-alcoholic steatohepatitis." (J Hepatol 47:565-570, 2007) IF=7.05
- Burns N, Finucane FM, Hatunic M, Gilman M, Murphy M, Gasparro D, Mari A, Gastaldelli A, Nolan JJ: "Early-onset type 2 diabetes in obese white subjects is characterised by a marked defect in beta cell insulin secretion, severe insulin resistance and a lack of response to aerobic exercise training." (Diabetologia 50:1500-1508, 2007) IF=6.41
- Gastaldelli A, Casolaro A, Pettiti M, Nannipieri M, Ciociaro D, Frascerra S, Buzzigoli E, Baldi S, Mari A, Ferrannini E: "Effect of pioglitazone on the metabolic and hormonal response to a mixed meal in type II diabetes." (Clin Pharmacol Ther 81:205-212, 2007) IF=7.58
- Berria R, Glass L, Mahankali A, Miyazaki Y, Monroy A, De Filippis E, Cusi K, Cersosimo E, Defronzo RA, Gastaldelli A: "Reduction in hematocrit and hemoglobin following pioglitazone treatment is not hemodilutional in Type II diabetes mellitus." (Clin Pharmacol Ther 82:275-281, 2007) IF=7.58
- Sites CK, Cooper BC, Toth MJ, Gastaldelli A, Arabshahi A, Barnes S: "Effect of a daily supplement of soy protein on body composition and insulin secretion in postmenopausal women." (Fertil Steril 88:1609-1617, 2007) IF=4.16
- Iozzo P, Jarvisalo MJ, Kiss J, Borra R, Naum GA, Viljanen A, Viljanen T, Gastaldelli A, Buzzigoli E, Guiducci L, Barsotti E, Savunen T, Knuuti J, Haaparanta-Solin M, Ferrannini E, Nuutila P: "Quantification of liver glucose metabolism by positron emission tomography: validation study in pigs." (Gastroenterology 132:531-542, 2007) IF=12.59
- Gastaldelli A, Cusi K, Pettiti M, Hardies J, Miyazaki Y, Berria R, Buzzigoli E, Sironi AM, Cersosimo E, Ferrannini E, Defronzo RA: "Relationship between hepatic/visceral fat and hepatic insulin resistance in nondiabetic and type 2 diabetic subjects." (Gastroenterology 133:496-506, 2007) IF=12.59
- Cusi K, Kashyap S, Gastaldelli A, Bajaj M, Cersosimo E: "Effects on insulin secretion and insulin action of a 48-h reduction of plasma free fatty acids with acipimox in nondiabetic subjects genetically predisposed to type 2 diabetes." (Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 292:E1775-1781, 2007) IF=3.85
- Gastaldelli A, Ferrannini E, Miyazaki Y, Matsuda M, Mari A, DeFronzo RA: "Thiazolidinediones improve beta-cell function in type 2 diabetic patients." (Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 292:E871-883, 2007) IF=3.85
- Neglia D, De Caterina A, Marraccini P, Natali A, Ciardetti M, Vecoli C, Gastaldelli A, Ciociaro D, Pellegrini P, Testa R, Menichetti L, L'Abbate A, Stanley WC, Recchia FA: "Impaired myocardial metabolic reserve and substrate selection flexibility during stress in patients with idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy." (Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 293:H3270-3278, 2007) IF=3.64
- Muscogiuri G, Chavez AO, Gastaldelli A, Perego L, Tripathy D, Saad MJ, Velloso L, Folli F: "The crosstalk between insulin and renin-angiotensin-aldosterone signaling systems and its effect on glucose metabolism and diabetes prevention." (Curr Vasc Pharmacol 6:301-312, 2008) IF=3.58
- Ferrannini E, Sironi A, Iozzo P, Gastaldelli A: "Intra-abdominal adiposity, abdominal obesity and cardiometabolic risk." (Eur Heart J Suppl 10:B4-B10, 2008) IF=2.1
- Marra F, Gastaldelli A, Svegliati Baroni G, Tell G, Tiribelli C: "Molecular basis and mechanisms of progression of non-alcoholic steatohepatitis." (Trends Mol Med 14:72-81, 2008) IF=9.62
- Gastaldelli A, Marra F, Marchesini G: "NASH/NAFLD ed Insulino-resistenza." (Il Diabete 20:126-136, 2008) IF=
- Positano V, Cusi K, Santarelli MF, Sironi A, Petz R, Defronzo R, Landini L, Gastaldelli A: "Automatic correction of intensity inhomogeneities improves unsupervised assessment of abdominal fat by MRI." (J Magn Reson Imaging 28:403-410, 2008) IF=2.65
- Sironi AM, Pingitore A, Ghione S, De Marchi D, Scattini B, Positano V, Muscelli E, Ciociaro D, Lombardi M, Ferrannini E, Gastaldelli A: "Early hypertension is associated with reduced regional cardiac function, insulin resistance, epicardial, and visceral fat." (Hypertension 51:282-288, 2008) IF=7.36
- Jazet IM, Schaart G, Gastaldelli A, Ferrannini E, Hesselink MK, Schrauwen P, Romijn JA, Maassen JA, Pijl H, Ouwens DM, Meinders AE: "Loss of 50% of excess weight using a very low energy diet improves insulin-stimulated glucose disposal and skeletal muscle insulin signalling in obese insulin-treated type 2 diabetic patients." (Diabetologia 51:309-319, 2008) IF=6.41
- Muscelli E, Mari A, Casolaro A, Camastra S, Seghieri G, Gastaldelli A, Holst JJ, Ferrannini E: "Separate impact of obesity and glucose tolerance on the incretin effect in normal subjects and type 2 diabetic patients." (Diabetes 57:1340-1348, 2008) IF=8.39
- Gastaldelli A: "Abdominal fat: does it predict the development of type 2 diabetes?" (Am J Clin Nutr 87:1118-1119, 2008) IF=6.74
- Thomaseth K, Pavan A, Berria R, Glass L, DeFronzo R, Gastaldelli A: "Model-based assessment of insulin sensitivity of glucose disposal and endogenous glucose production from double-tracer oral glucose tolerance test." (Comput Methods Programs Biomed 89:132-140, 2008) IF=1.22
- Peterson SJ, Drummond G, Hyun Kim D, Li M, Positano V, Vanella L, Piccolomini F, Rodella LF, Gastaldelli A, Kusmic C, L'Abbate A, Kappas A, Abraham NG: "Apo A-1 mimetic peptide, L-4F prevents insulin resistance through increased HO-1 and pAMPK in obese mice." (J Lipid Res, 2009) IF=4.40
- Chavez AO, Gastaldelli A, Guardado-Mendoza R, Lopez-Alvarenga JC, Leland MM, Tejero ME, Sorice G, Casiraghi F, Davalli A, Bastarrachea RA, Comuzzie AG, DeFronzo RA, Folli F: "Predictive models of insulin resistance derived from simple morphometric and biochemical indices related to obesity and the metabolic syndrome in baboons." (Cardiovasc Diabetol 8:22, 2009) IF=4.14
- Andreassi MG, Gastaldelli A, Clerico A, Salvadori PA, Sicari R, Picano E: "Imaging and laboratory biomarkers in cardiovascular disease." (Curr Pharm Des 15:1131-1141, 2009) IF=4.39
- Gastaldelli A, Perego L, Paganelli M, Sesti G, Hribal M, Chavez AO, Defronzo RA, Pontiroli A, Folli F: "Elevated concentrations of liver enzymes and ferritin identify a new phenotype of insulin resistance: effect of weight loss after gastric banding." (Obes Surg 19:80-86, 2009) IF=2.91
- Positano V, Christiansen T, Santarelli MF, Ringgaard S, Landini L, Gastaldelli A: "Accurate segmentation of subcutaneous and intermuscular adipose tissue from MR images of the thigh." (J Magn Reson Imaging 29:677-684, 2009) IF=2.65
- Gastaldelli A, Kozakova M, Hojlund K, Flyvbjerg A, Favuzzi A, Mitrakou A, Balkau B: "Fatty liver is associated with insulin resistance, risk of coronary heart disease, and early atherosclerosis in a large European population." (Hepatology 49:1537-1544, 2009) IF=11.35
- Gastaldelli A, Bedogni G, Balkau B: "Reply to Hsu C.S. et al.: "Both Insulin Resistance and Alanine Aminotransferase Level Increase the Risks of Cardiovascular Disease in Fatty Liver Disease"." (Hepatology 50:989-990, 2009) IF=11.35
- Peterson SJ, Kim DH, Li M, Positano V, Vanella L, Rodella LF, Piccolomini F, Puri N, Gastaldelli A, Kusmic C, L'Abbate A, Abraham NG: "The L-4F mimetic peptide prevents insulin resistance through increased levels of HO-1, pAMPK, and pAKT in obese mice." (J Lipid Res 50:1293-1304, 2009) IF=4.40
- Gastaldelli A, Harrison SA, Belfort-Aguilar R, Hardies LJ, Balas B, Schenker S, Cusi K: "Importance of changes in adipose tissue insulin resistance to histological response during thiazolidinedione treatment of patients with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis." (Hepatology 50:1087-1093, 2009) IF=11.35
- Vanni E, Abate ML, Gentilcore E, Hickman I, Gambino R, Cassader M, Smedile A, Ferrannini E, Rizzetto M, Marchesini G, Gastaldelli A, Bugianesi E: "Sites and mechanisms of insulin resistance in nonobese, nondiabetic patients with chronic hepatitis C." (Hepatology 50:697-706, 2009) IF=11.35
- Nicolai A, Li M, Kim DH, Peterson SJ, Vanella L, Positano V, Gastaldelli A, Rezzani R, Rodella LF, Drummond G, Kusmic C, L'Abbate A, Kappas A, Abraham NG: "Heme oxygenase-1 induction remodels adipose tissue and improves insulin sensitivity in obesity-induced diabetic rats." (Hypertension 53:508-515, 2009) IF=7.36
- Rijkelijkhuizen JM, Doesburg T, Girman CJ, Mari A, Rhodes T, Gastaldelli A, Nijpels G, Dekker JM: "Hepatic fat is not associated with beta-cell function or postprandial free fatty acid response." (Metabolism 58:196-203, 2009) IF=2.92
- Guardado-Mendoza R, Davalli AM, Chavez AO, Hubbard GB, Dick EJ, Majluf-Cruz A, Tene-Perez CE, Goldschmidt L, Hart J, Perego C, Comuzzie AG, Tejero ME, Finzi G, Placidi C, La Rosa S, Capella C, Halff G, Gastaldelli A, DeFronzo RA, Folli F: "Pancreatic islet amyloidosis, beta-cell apoptosis, and alpha-cell proliferation are determinants of islet remodeling in type-2 diabetic baboons." (Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:13992-13997, 2009) IF=9.38
- Gastaldelli A, Martini S, Donati A, Marchettini N, Rossi C, Bastianoni S: "A new approach to study in vivo cellular metabolism using a modellistic analysis of magnetic resonance spectra." (Math Biosci 222:36-41, 2009) IF=1.15
- Bonuccelli S, Muscelli E, Gastaldelli A, Barsotti E, Astiarraga BD, Holst JJ, Mari A, Ferrannini E: "Improved tolerance to sequential glucose loading (Staub-Traugott effect): size and mechanisms." (Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 297:E532-537, 2009) IF=4.14
- Gastaldelli A, Casolaro A, Ciociaro D, Frascerra S, Nannipieri M, Buzzigoli E, Ferrannini E: "Decreased whole body lipolysis as a mechanism of the lipid-lowering effect of pioglitazone in type 2 diabetic patients." (Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 297:E225-230, 2009) IF=4.14
- Kashyap SR, Daud S, Kelly KR, Gastaldelli A, Win H, Brethauer S, Kirwan JP, Schauer PR: "Acute effects of gastric bypass versus gastric restrictive surgery on beta-cell function and insulinotropic hormones in severely obese patients with type 2 diabetes." (Int J Obes 34(3):462-71, 2010) IF=3.56.
- Gastaldelli A, Natali A, Vettor R and Ginanni Corradini S "Insulin resistance, adipose depots and gut: interactions and pathological implications" (Digestive and Liver Disease 42(5):310-9, 2010) IF=1.98
- Gastaldelli A. "Fatty liver disease: the hepatic manifestation of metabolic syndrome." Hypertens Res. 2010 May 13. [Epub ahead of print] IF=2.95
- Glass LC, Cusi K, Berria R, Petz R, Cersosimo E, Defronzo RA, Gastaldelli A. "Pioglitazone Improvement of Fasting and Postprandial Hyperglycemia in Mexican American Patients with Type 2 Diabetes: A Double Tracer OGTT Study. (Clin Endocrinol 2010) [Epub ahead of print] IF=3.37
- Christie DR, Grant J, Darnell BE, Chapman VR, Gastaldelli A, Sites CK. "Metabolic effects of soy supplementation in postmenopausal Caucasian and African American women: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial." (Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010 Apr 30.) [Epub ahead of print] IF=2.92
- Gastaldelli A, Folli F, Maffei S. Impact of Tobacco Smoking on Lipid Metabolism, Body weight and Cardiometabolic Risk. Curr Pharm Des. 2010. in press
- Gastaldelli A. Fatty liver disease: the hepatic manifestation of metabolic syndrome. Hypertens Res. 2010;33(6):546-547.